Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday-Coconuts!

Three months ago, on my old blog, I wrote a post 7 Tasty Tips for Seniors, 
about supplements that benefit older dogs.   On the list I included coconut oil.   Coconut oil  has many health benefits for dogs: its good for healthy allergies, digestion, metabolism, arthritis, immune system and cardiovascular health.  In fact the only problem with coconut oil for dogs is the price of the products that are designed specifically for dogs.  For example, one 8 ounce jar of a popular brand of coconut oil designed for pets, is $16.97, considering that the Whole Dog Journal recommends that coconut oil dosages be 1 tbsp for ever 30 lbs of weight, that is a pretty exorbindant price.   With two large and three small dogs one jar would only last me a week.  That is why for years I didn't used coconut oil for my dogs, even though I was aware of the benefits.   Then I decided to order Nature's Way Coconut Oil on Amazon, this product is only $17.58 cents for 32 ounces, and like the dog specific product it consists of of 100% extra virgin organic coconut oil.   It does come packaged in a plastic jar, which is a slight down side since, plastic is not considered ideal for packing.  However, considering the saving it is well worth it.  Plus the taste is very appealing to dogs.  You can see in these pictures Weasley and Bob were practically trying to open the jar.









 When you begin using coconut oil for your pet's health.  Make sure you start with a very small dose and then gradually increase it.   If given too quickly stomach upset will result.



Coconut oil isn't just good for pets, it offers all the same health benefits for humans as well, and it makes a great moisturizer.  Since I started buying coconut oil I have used it every day to wash my face, no soap just coconut oil.  I just rub it on my face in the shower and rinse it off.  Oil dissolves oil and make up and moisturizes the skin.  Now, I don't want to sound vain, but I am about to turn 36, and most people think I am a bit younger.  I'm not sure if its the coconut oil or the sun screen or luck but as I want my clothes, and not my skin, to look vintage I am going to keep slathering it on.     

12 comments:

  1. My Dad sometimes takes a spoonful of Coconut Oil but he's never tried to give it to me. I'll have to see if he'll give me some. Have you noticed any improvements in the Urban Hounds' skin or coats? Do you just put it in with their food? As you know, I have bad allergies that manifest in irritated areas of my skin. He tried rubbing some on my armpits the other day because they weren't looking so hot. He said that the coconut oil is good for dry skin and also is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I'm hoping it helps!

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove coconut oil for oil cleansing. It balances oily skin like mine. I once did a detox that recommended lots of it in smoothies and felt amazing gobbling it up. I'm experimenting with "low fat" vegan eating now so I'm not eating it at the moment but still absolutely love it for all kinds of home made deodorants/toothpastes/soaps/conditioners/ etc. Good for the doggies, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use coconut oil for my boys, too. I got it as Goro has a little allergy. And I love coconut oil, too. I put on my pancake and that makes it so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my girls LOVE coconut oil! Priscilla sometimes gets a little yeasty growth on her feet, and rub coconut oil on and let her lick it off. it is antimicrobal and takes care of her feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe we should try that with Tori

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get my organic coconut oil at Costco....15.99 for 54 oz. I put it in my smoothies, and give the boys a little bit. Jimmy isn't too fond of it straight out of the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also get that same brand at Costco. We melt a little and put it on the pugs dinner each night. I never thought to use it to wash my face, I will have to try that.
    hugs
    mom & Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for telling us about coconut oil. We need to get some.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister's dog (an Olde English Bulldogge) is head-over-heels (or would that be head-over-paws? :)) in love with coconut oil. I haven't tried giving it to Annie yet, but think that I might now that see it's a huge hit with your darling pups, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mom's crazy about coconut oil. She used to put in our hair to make it softer and shinier.

    I'm honestly not a big fan of coconuts but I do eat it occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have heard a lot about coconut oil and it is all good. Interesting use as a moisturizer and why not? Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. We use that same brand. We got it on Amazon when they had a 2 for 1 special!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...