Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Nerves and Norbert

I've always been a highly nervous person given to worst case scenario thinking, its something I strive to control but often can't, and this tendency is never more apparent when it comes to my dogs health, particularly with my senior dogs.  As Norbert approaches his 12th birthday in July I have become more and more concerned about his health, with each trip to the vet I imagine the bad news I will inevetably one day receive.  About two weeks ago I was thrown into a new fit of worry when I noticed blood in Norbert's urine.  First, he had a few accidents inside, very unusual for him but each time we felt there was a possible explenation, such as my coming home late from work.  Then two days after the first symptoms appeared I saw the blood.  We immediately rushed to the vet and I began imaging worst case scenarios.  Thankfully, the vet discovered the Norbert simply had a urinary tract infection.  After two weeks on antibiotics his symptoms are gone.  However, the vet also saw slightly low urine specific  gravity.  Now the vet is fairly confident that this is the result of the infection, also the sample was taken in the afternoon.  However, I'm of course nervous about kidney failure, the worst case scenario.  My plan for now is to take a sample of first morning urine to the vet on Saturday.  



14 comments:

  1. Anxiety and worries come with the "momma" territory no matter if it is four legged or two legged. Wesa praying that all goes well for your sweetie.
    stella rose and momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can one not be nervous? Oh but we are so hoping that the vet is right and all is well with dear Norbert.
    Best wishes,
    Gail and Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathise because I have the same problem. My hubby says if I don't have something to worry about i will invent a problem specially :)
    Glad to hear Norbert is okay.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try relaxing, says SHE who has the dogs to the vets at the slightest thing....

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been labeled a pessimist myself, so I know where you are coming from! I hope you get a good report on the fresh urine test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You''re not a pessimist...you're a realist. :) Anywho...glad for Norbert it was just a UTI. I worry for my puggums weights that they won't live very long...and yet they are already and reduced food portions. Its as if anything you feed a pug turns immediately into stored fat. Argh!
    Much Love,
    Mama Mindy of The Slimmer Puggums

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do the same thing. Now that Bailey is going on 12 I worry. His blood work was great though, we just have to be careful with his bad knees. And Greta with her allergies is a constant worry for me. we will keep our paws crossed that all is fine now with Norbert
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  8. My moms understand how you get worried,,, they are the same way.
    Your a good momma,,, and did good taking him to the vet to get checked.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  9. We too understand how worried you must be. We send healing vibes and POTP and we so hope everything will be OK. Paws and fingers tightly crossed over here.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. It could be a bladder infection. Our old Dalmatian (who is now passed on), had this problem the last few years of her life. We changed her food ( it was a Science Diet special prescription) and as long as she was on the right food, she was fine. And there was blood in her urine and she started going in the house. Our Barney (about 12 years old) black cat has problems now and as long as I stay with the food, he is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, your a good mommy! I'm sure it is only the infection. I don't blame you for being worried though, it is to be expected. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated on the results from the urine sample pls n thanks.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand, I tend to think about the worst case scenario when it comes to my kitties' health, too. I hope it's nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is always scary when our pups are sick. I always try not to worry until I am given a valid reason to worry. I always tell my husband & kids (all worriers) that it is the most useless of human emotions. If there is nothing wrong, you worried for naught and if something is wrong, you have to experience the dread twice. I hope you are worrying for no reason. : )

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...