Monday, September 15, 2014

College Fashions of the 1920s

 
 
This post owes everything to the lovely post on 1940s college fashions on the wonderful The Vintage Inn blog.  Liz's post about the charms of 1940s college life got me thinking about one of my favorite decades, the 1920s, and the sporty fashions worn by flaming youth co-eds. 

The twenties where a good decade for college.  Enrollment was at an all time high, particularly for woman, and society was in the midst of the first big youth culture movement.   All over campuses young people where shocking their elders by drinking elicit alcohol, bobbing their hair, speaking in a new slang jargon, and attending dances and petting parties.  The image of college life transferred from one of quiet study:




image source


to something a bit less sedate:


image source


With enrollment up and young students in the throws of the celebratory 1920s youth quake, college became an important part of the cultural landscape.  It began to be recognized as a typical write of passage, becoming the subject of popular films and magazines.
 
 

image source
 
                                                               image source
But what where the flaming youth co-eds wearing while all this was going on?  The answer: stylish, comfortable, sports wear.  Sweaters, sweater vests, sports jackets, and striped ties seem to have been very popular with young men.

image source




 
And of course letterman sweaters where a hit on and off the football field. 
 
image source
 
Add caption
Styles for young ladies weren't all that different from those worn by the gents, with sweaters often being worn with knee length pleated skirts, cloche hats or head scarves, and of course bobbed hair.
 
Image source
image source
 
image source
 
 
 
Tie neck middy blouses were a popular choice for young ladies during warmer months:
 
image source
image source
 
Women where also participating in college athletics and wearing the same sorts of sweaters, paired with skirts, as their male athlete counterparts.

image source
Though my college years have long passed by I would dearly love to sport any of these fashions for a crisp autumn walk through a leaf strewn campus....


6 comments:

  1. Fabulous post! Chalk it up to the fact that I loved school (or at least learning - there were some elements of my school years, like merciless bulling, that I could certainly have lived without), but I will always have the biggest perpetual crush on 1920s - early 60s collegiate fashions like these timelessly lovely examples. They're sophisticated and fun with preppy undertones - all notes that I generally adore and am drawn to when it comes to fashion.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. i especially loved the Simpson's sweater pic

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my college years (almost makes me want to go back to college just to wear the fashions again) when I used to bicycle to school like in your cyclists photograph. Some used to ask me how I ride a bicycle in "that," and some just stared uncontrollably. I even had the sleeveless pullover I'd knitted. I love this post too much! Oh! and I've just GOT to have a middy blouse now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one and the thing that strikes me is they all look so much older, Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow there are some amazingly gorgeous outfits in there! And the young men look so stylish too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen this till now!! What a wonderful post! ohhh I love me a good lettermen jacket and all those images of wonderfully stylish youth makes me a bit sad that it still not the case today. Thanks for the shoutout :)

    Liz-VintageInn

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...