Thursday, January 7, 2016

Cinema Spotlight-1958's Kitsch Classic Queen of Outer Space and A Vintage Outfit Post

For Christmas this year my lovely husband gifted me with one of my favorite films.  1958's camp classic Queen of Outer Space:





I only recently discovered this film, but its brilliant, an absolute monument to kitsch.  The unintentionally hilarious plot centers on a group of manly astronauts  who travel to Venus only to discover its ruled  by an evil mask waring,  man hating  Queen.   




The astronauts use their best 1950s seduction techniques, but come up short with the Queen:



Luckily for them the non-mask wearing Zsa Zsa Gabor, playing head Ventian scientist Talleah, and her friends are sick of the feminist rule and longing for some hunky men, so they decide to help out the astronauts.



The film was made in 1958 but it has some truly fabulous  fashions that  predict some of the Space Age looks popular in the early 1960s.














I've written before about how much I love the crazy spacey 1960s fashion on Star Trek: The Original Series and after seeing Queen of Outer Space I really think Star Trek's original costume designer the briliant William Ware Theiss may have been inspired by this film.  You can really see the similarities in the uniforms:
                                                 


Lately I've been appreciating the fun kitschy looks of the 1950s and 60s more for my own wardrobe too.   I've only really been into vintage for about four years and initially I was pretty much only interested in looks from the 1920s through the 1940s.  I still love those eras, but as I get older and acquire more wrinkles, I think I get sillier too.  These kitschy fashions seem a good fir for my personality, and while I certainly don't plan a style overhaul I want to incorporate more 1950s and 60s looks into my wardrobe.

My  favorite look from Queen of Outer Space is the sparkly pants worn by the man hating Queen.





They left me really wanting a pair of sparkly capris of my very own.   

I was pleasantly surprised when I found a very similar pair of pants in the Etsy Outer Limitz  .   The seller was really wonderful and eve altered the pants to fit my short frame, free of charge.  I paired the pants with a black beatnik top from Freddie's of Pinewood.  





It is hard to see in the pictures but the pants are super sparkly.



I also added jewelry from Etsy shop the Alamo Basement (fabulous name)






and my favorite novelty purse.  






It's a really fun outfit, just like the film is a really fun film.






PS-Thank you all for your well wishes for Bob.  We are going back to the vet Saturday to try to figure out the source of his issues.  Sadly we can't see our favorite vet as he isn't available.   








6 comments:

  1. Perfect. You fit right in. Mom loves seeing these old pictures
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't g wrong with silver lame capris!! You're right - those Star Trek uniforms are directly descended from those costumes! that looks like a very fun movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want every outfit on this post. I can't help wondering why modern fashions are so boring and predictable and vintage clothes are not. Or does it have to do with me getting older?

    ReplyDelete
  4. those pants look great! and i have always loved those early trek outfits. the skirts are SO SHORT! i love the gold rick rack the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This film looks like a lot of fun. My dad loves 1950's sci fi so I was able to see a lot growing up raiding his collection. I have never come across this one though! Congratulations on finding those pants! They look great on you! I especially love them with those sparkly earrings! Such a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational outfit! Late 50s - early 60s styles are breathtaking on you, dear Kate.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...