Monday, November 30, 2015

Product Review-Puppy Bumper

Since my parents gave my husband and I Tubby as a wedding present 14 years ago, we have been small dog owners.   However, until Tuvok joined our home after Tubby's passing, we had never been tiny dog owners, and there is a difference. Pugs are small, but they have formidable necks.  



Exhibit A: Bulbous Pug neck


In fact it often seems that pugs are mostly made up of neck.   This is not the case with toy poodles, who have tiny delicate necks to match their tiny frames.


Exhibit B: Toy Poodle with Correspondingly Teensy neck


Now my husband and I have a  small, but well fenced, outdoor space in the back of our house.  It can't properly be called a yard because like many home in our urban area its where we park our car and to accommodate this there is no grass.  It is however, a large space for the city and plenty big enough for our dogs to run and play in.  We paid a pretty penny to have it securely fenced and gated years before Tuvok joined our home.  We showed the men who installed our fence the dogs we had at that time and they built the fence to accommodate them.  Well it doesn't do as well at accommodating Mr. Tuvok.  

Now, we never leave our dogs outside alone, but one day as I was going back in to get our senior lady Ping and carry her down the deck stairs I heard a shout from my neighbor.  While my back was turn Tuvok had squeezed out of an infinitesimal space near the front gate.   When my neighbor shouted Tuvok immediately went back in, but the cat, or rather the toy poodle, was out of the bag.  I knew we had to do something to make the yard safer for Tuvok. 

  We really couldn't afford to have the whole yard re-fenced just a few years after getting it done the first time.  Plus the space by the gate was so small I doubted it could even be made smaller and still allow the gate to function.  I distantly remembered seeing an add for something called puppy bumpers in Bark magazine.  I went online and did some research and found the solution to our problem.   Puppy Bumpers are light weight donut shaped pillow type collars.  They were developed by Ann Price to solve the problem of her 6 lb maltese squeezing through a baby gate.    Basically, the way puppy bumpers work is you put them on your small necked dog and instantly they have a neck width to rival a chunky pug.




Puppy Bumpers come in sizes to fit dogs from 4-20 lbs and a wide range of colors and fabrics, including tough fabric and glow in  the dark fabric.   Since the Holliday's are approaching we got Tuvok a Christmas one.  



I guess after the Holidays are over we may be shopping for a different bumper.


Tuvok is very good about wearing his Puppy Bumper, in fact he doesn't seem to mind it at all.  Puppy Bumpers, are very easy to put on, they can have a collar slipped through them for extra security, or you can just use the snap like I do.  Tuvok has never tried to get his off and I've checked that its quite secure.   Tuvok is a very velcro-ey type dog and generally never leaves my side, in fact since the original incident I've never even seen him by the gate.   I'm cautious by nature though and so now he wears his puppy bumper if I can't give him mytotal undivided attention in the yard.    I still would never leave him outside alone, but I feel much safer knowing he can't try to squeeze out the fence while my back is turned.   Puppy Bumpers sell for about twenty dollars and are available on the Puppy Bumpers website and on  Amazon, even better if you have Amazon prime they  ship for free.   



13 comments:

  1. I luffs the puppy outfits and Tuvok's collar looks like an elegant Elizabethan ruff, he looks very debonair! (and safe!)
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I've never heard of puppy bumpers. Fortunately I've never needed them, but it's good to know if I ever get a tiny puppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ingenious product! This is getting filed under the "I just know this knowledge will come in handy one day down the line" file. Thank you for the lovely review and introduction to Puppy Bumpers (how cute is that name?!). Tuvok looks adorable in his festive version.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great idea....especially in winter..a neck warmer, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of puppy bumpers - what a clever idea. It always surprises me, the small spaces that dogs can squeeze through when they put their mind to it. When I first had my first ever dog, Hamish the Westie, I also purchased a child gate to keep prevent him from going upstairs. I was sure the bars were far too close for Hamish to squeeze through. At the time, a neighbour would take him out during the day when I was at work. One evening I came home to and saw the gate had been sawn apart. Imagine my horror and guilt when I learned that neighbour Jacques had come into the house that afternoon and found Hamish's head stuck between the bars of the child gate, and the only way Jacques could extract him was to saw one of the bars in two. Needless to say, I didn't try using a child gate for a dog again! Fortunately, Hamish showed no sign of suffering any physical or psychological damage from this very unfortunate episode.
    Hope Tuvok stays safe!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great testimonial for this product! Don't know if I'll ever have a tiny dog, but this is good info! (If I could have all the dogs I wanted...I'd have a Papillon!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very similar to the Zen Collar that Mabel wore when she was scratching her head raw, but it was $30 at Petco. and not as cute either. But much easier for her to wear than a cone. I never thought about using it in that fashion!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of those. Gosh, Tuvok looks adorable in it! We need those at the shelter where I volunteer. We have to rig up all kinds of blockades to keep the little dogs from escaping when we take them out in the fields to play!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! We are lucky our pack stays in the fence, but are definitely going to keep these in mind for future use!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doggy bumper is a wonderful idea! Now everyone is safe!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've got 2 of these - if I knew you were looking for one, I would've sent one your way :) They work great when we've had teeny-toy fosters! Penny even wore one her first couple of trips out on the deck. Great product!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea and easy fix! Plus Tuvok looks quite smashing in his holiday attire! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. aw, it looks so cute too! i'm like you, i never leave my girls outside unsupervised. we babysit a 14 year old blind pug named Cooper occasionally and his owners said we could just leave me outside while we're at work during the day! i don't understand that!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...