Friday, May 30, 2014

Vintage Outfit Post-Flapper Fashion Friday

While my favorite fashion decade is without a doubt the 1930s I have quite a soft spot for the 1920s as well after all who doesn't love the adorable, vivacious flapper.


Fashions of the 1920s freed women from corsets, long skirts, restricting sleeves, and mountains of hair.  For the first time in history women where working, studying, playing sports, driving and socializing along side men and they were doing so wearing clothes that made those activities possible. 


1920s college students, image source
University of Texas Female Athletes, image source
Some "regular gal" flappers in their short dresses, image source
Office Workers, image source
Chevrolet add aimed at women drivers, image source
1920s party, image source


 For that reason 1920s fashions tend to be very comfortable and easy to wear.  While actual twenties garments are a rarity and extremely delicate due to age.   Reproductions can give you the look and freedom of flapper fashion.  About a year and ago I had a flapper dress made by Time Machine Vintage using the McCall 1920s Drop Waist one piece jumper dress pattern.

Kim, the seamstress behind Time Machine Vintage, found a great grey and white rayon fabric for my dress.  I love it and I'm not sure why I have not posted outfit pictures before, so when I wore it two Sundays ago I thought it was finally time for some pictures.  I had some fun trying  different vintage phto effects on the pictures:













Outfit Details

Dress Time Machine Vintage
Flapper Headband, Bonnet Boutique
Lavender Gloves, Ebay
Carved Celluloid Bracelet, Ebay
Stockings, What Katie Did
Shoes, Mod Cloth




11 comments:

  1. It must have felt amazingly freeing to go from corsets to the flapper outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your vintage photos! It's so fun to take a look back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like the perfect flapper and I LOVE the scarf tied in your hair! It looks very Clara Bow. I've always been a little afraid of 20s fashions on me, but this look makes me want to reconsider wearing them.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silhouette definitely takes some getting used to as its so straight up and down and can make you look big, but the dresses are so comfortable and once your eye adjusts it looks good

      retro rover

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I definitely want to try some flapper looks post-baby and while my hair is still short.
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Looks very comfortable! And you even have the seamed stockings!

    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, your flapper outfit is gorgeous, love how you did your hair too.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so luv this kind of stuff, not sure if the dress would swamp my paws a bit.
    Though I bet it would look great. Luv's Cat Flap Cavalier X

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was quite a shock to society when hems were raised THAT high....
    SHE remembers a college history lecturer saying that during the mini skirt rage, that that was nothing compared to the flappers.

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing time of liberation and fun. So much changed after WW1. As always you look stylish and lovely. Have a super Saturday.
    best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way rayon drapes though it is difficult to sew. I prewashed some in my washing machine and bunged up the filter, thought my washer was broken! Your outfit looks great with the hat, scarf and gloves.

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...