Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Around Town-Soda Shop Time Machine

I've written before about Brooklyn Farmacy, the picture perfect vintage style soda shop that is my all time favorite New York city restaurant.   Seriously, this place isn't just a restaurant, it's a period perfect time machine, right down to the paper hats on the soda jerks and vintage fridge in the back:


image source
  
 




It is also a rarity, authentic soda shops are like affordable, pristine 1920s dresses, unusual.  However, the good news is the craze for artisan food is brining about a home made soda comeback, the New York times published this article on the trend back in 2011.  As someone who loves ice cream and history I couldn't be happier about the rebirth of this forgotten American institution.  

This Sunday my husband and I decided to make the trek from Jersey City to the Brooklyn Farmacy, the trip takes a bit longer then an hour but is well worth it.  Since it was a lovely warm day on Sunday I decided a summery outfit was in order, and since I'm always trying to keep the wrinkles at bay I brought my parasol along as well.

 
                                             

 
Like the other Hey Day trousers I've tried these pants are super comfortable and the perfect weight for summer.  In general I'm not much of a pants person but these and my Freddie's are making me into one.  They also pair well with a number of tops, and while they are 1940s style trousers I think they are also reminiscent of the 1930s, my favorite style decade.   For our outing I wore them with my yellow Jitterbuggin' blouse, one of my favorite items.

Outfit Details:

I'm a Sundae fanatic and as I've been to Brooklyn Farmacy several times I've tried quite a few of their sundaes.  I'd never had the Elvis though, and I decided today was the day. 

It was a decadent concoction with all of the King's favorites peanut butter, banana chip ice cream, caramel, candied bacon, whipped cream, and a pickle on the side!  Yes, it was as good as it looked:

I also had a cherry soda, all their sodas are made with old fashioned syrups that use real fruit and seltzer,



Isn't the color lovely?  John had an egg cream and an egg salad sandwich.  He was feeling shy and didn't want to be photographed.

If you don't live any where near Brooklyn there is no need to despair for your Soda Shop dreams.  Brooklyn Farmacy just published a cookbook. 
 
 
 
It is available from Amazon for $14.95 .  I pre-ordered it in March and received it in May and I love it.   In addition to recipes for all the Farmacy's treats there is a detailed history of soda fountains in general and tons of fun facts.  So far I've tried the recipe for marinated pineapple and the egg cream and both were delicious.  I don't want to give away the books secrets, but as its a well known classic I think I can safely share the recipe for the egg cream.
 
Classic Egg Cream
 
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp cold whole milk
3/4 cup cold plain seltzer
3 tbsp Fox's U Bet Syrup (Vanilla or chocolate its up to you!)
 
Pour the milk into a tall glass and add the seltzer slowly until the froth comes to the top, if you are like me it will always overflow a bit so have paper towels handy.  Slowly pour the syrup into the center of the foam and then very gently mix the syrup in using a long handles spoon in back and forth motion.  Don't overdo it or there goes your foam!
 
Just don't make Buster Keaton's mistakes:
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. You look great in that outfit, and the parasol is a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw on HGTV some buddy bought a large store with a sofa shop. They converted the place into their home and kept the soda shop. It was way cool
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did say bacon with ice cream didn't you? That is a very unusual combination :)
    Lovely parasol.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though too young for the Soda Shops, SHE remembers the old drugstores with the soda fountains.

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh yum! I love Sundae, too!
    You look lovely in the outfit. The parasol is so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looked like a cool place to visit and your outfit is lovely and we like the added touch with the parasol. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to New York but have a list of places I want to visit when I go. Farmacy has just been added to the list. I love ice cream and retro ice cream is absolutely over the top. Thanks for adding to my list :)

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...