Monday, June 16, 2014

The Jazz Age Lawn Party and an Outfit Post

 Since my favorite style decades are the 1920s and 30s the Jazz Age Lawn Party held on Governor's Island each summer is right up my alley.  I wrote about the event last year in this post and I look forward to going each summer.  Like last year I had Kim at Time Machine Vintage make me a dress.  I love 1920s fashions, but actual twenties dresses are just too delicate and too expensive so I knew repro was the way to go.  I knew I wanted a 1920s day dress, lots of people at the event were evening clothes but I can't see myself in a cocktail dress at a lawn party.  I also knew I wanted an early twenties style dress.  The original pattern I was interested in was already earmarked for another purchaser so with help from Kim I decided on another pattern:


and Kim made this AMAZING dress:



She added actual vintage trims and I really think you can't tell its not authentic twenties attire:


I wore it with a flower crown made by Etsy Seller Chatter Blossom

 
It is inspired by a crown worn by silent film star Louise Brooks:



 I also wore my 1930s sunglasses from Adelines Attic and carried my favorite thrifted 1930s crochet purse.  My shoes were from mod cloth:



Since repair work is being done on the Path Train in NJ it took us awhile to get to Governor's Island and by the time we arrived it was already packed.  The line stretched on and on first at the boat:


and  then on the Island:






When we finally reached our destination it was really lovely:



 


There were lots of vintage vendors with some beautiful wares.  However, I had already decided to not buy anything and to ward off temptation I brought very little cash.  With the crowds it was unfortunately very hard to get good pictures of the merchandise:



 
 
In addition to the vendors and the music from the Dreamland Orchestra, the event has plenty of food and cocktails. It is cohosted by St. Germaine liquor
 
 
 
and they had special cocktails they designed just for the party.  I had a delicious flapper fizz:
 
 
They also gave out cards with a recipe for St. Germain Sangria:
 
 Sangria Flora
1 bottle dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand or Pinot Grigio recommended)
1 cup of St. Germain liquor
6 strawberries (cut in half) , 12 white grapes (cut in half), 2 peaches (chopped), 12 raspberries
Ice
 
Combine the wine and St. Germain in a large pitcher and Stir in the fruit.  Let sit 30-45 min.  Serve in cups or glasses with ice.  This amount serves 5.
 
 
 
 

Of course my favorite thing about the party is the fashion, and there was lots of it.  Not everyone dressed up of course, my husband wore shorts and a t-shirt, but most people did.   Plenty of people were in evening or cocktail dress that was inspired by twenties style.  Everyone, looks great but my favorite looks where the day inspired ones.  it was hard to get really good pictures of the styles because this event was packed, but I did photograph this incredible long gown on the lady who apparently owns New York's most glamorous picnic set:
 
 
I also spotted the madcap fashion journalist Lyn Yaegger with her incredible china doll bob.
 
In the end we actually didn't stay at the party very long, just two hours, because we wanted to get home to the dogs, but we had a lovely trip back in time while we were there:
 

 

12 comments:

  1. I saw an episode on TV regarding "dandys" cool
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such fun! Your dress and accessories are beautiful on you. I must say re: the flower crown, that you look downright angelic, but Louise Brooks looks anything but!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea that they are keeping the styles alive through reproductions. The age and fragility of some of the vintage styles makes enjoying wearing it not always realistic. However, for those who enjoy the look and the fun of recreating the style, the reproductions are a great alternative. I suspect it is also easier to get more variety in sizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look sensational! What a thrilling, fun filled, exciting event! Just as with Viva, I eagerly await blog posts from my fellow vintage friends who have/had the great pleasure to attend this fabulous yesteryear shindig (so that I can in turn visit vicariously through their photos :)).

    Big hugs & many thanks for all of your wonderful recent blog comments,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a fun event! And very popular! You looked great all dressed up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day out. So much to see, enjoy and get ideas from. Probably a good idea to leave your cash at home!

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun event! I love the photo of the car and gentlemen in hats. It looks like a scene from old movie! Your dress is beautiful. Love the color! You look fantastic in it and the pretty flower crown!
    What a great day you had. It's a good idea to carry only small amount of cash not to spend too much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you look amazing!! The last two times I went I really wasn't happy with my look. I think I need a year to plan hehe Joanna from Dividing Vintage Moments went as well. I'd love to go next summer for sure! Reading your wonderful post made me miss it heheeh xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun event! Love your outfit! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you took the camera and showed us the event. It looked like such fun. Your dress and accessories were just right. So pleased you had such nice weather for it too.
    Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. your dress looked perfect! what a cool event! and i LOVE St. Germaine! I'm going to have to make that sangria!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love the way you dress, I really do think you would fit perfectly in that era!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...