Peanut Butter and Apple Butter Thumbprint Cookies for Pups
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple butter (I choose to use a sugar free Apple Butter rather then jam because its made of nothing but apples, so there is no risk of too much sugar or any grape juice, which can be toxic to dogs and is in many jams.)
Preheat oven to 325. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together the flour, oats, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a microwave safe bowl or large glass measuring cup stir together the peanut butter, water, and chicken broth. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir together again to combine. Add the peanut butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Remove table spoon amounts of the doll, roll into balls, and then flatten slightly and make an indentation with your thumb. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow to cool completely inside the oven. After cookies are cool spoon apple butter into each indentation.
The second cookies are for people and are a tastier version of the classic Rice Krispie treats from the Smitten Kitchen. They are super delicious and you can get the ingredients at any corner store. The only change I made was to add decorative green sugar to make them Christmassey.
Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stick butter
- 1 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows
- heaping 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies, about a half of a box
- 1 tbsp sparkling green sugar
I bagged up the dog cookies, after giving one to each pup, and they will be gifts for their doggie cousins.