Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Vintage Outfit Post-Poka Dotty!

If I had to spend the rest of my life wearing only one print it would surely be polka-dots.  Polka dots are so much fun and so elegant and so often turn up on gorgeous dresses from my favorite era, the 1930s.  If you aren't convinced just look at this amazing dress worn by Ginger Roger's in 1935's Roberta.

Or this stunning number on Joan Crawford

Image Source
Or better yet take a gander at the beautiful polka dots worn by these fabulously stylish "ordinary" women.





These images would lead any vintage enthusiast to conclude that if you are going to have a 1930s wardrobe you need to have a polka dot dress.  I couldn't find my dream long sleeved navy polka dot dress in vintage form, so I turned to the amazing Kim at Time Machine Vintage on Etsy.  She made me a repro dress that is just as good as, if not better, then the genuine article.  Its so much fun to wear:


 Of course I don't like to leave my dogs out of anything so I made sure to put Weasley in his navy and white bobble sweater made by the wonderful Melissa from pug notes.


I paired my dress with a 1930s hat from Adeline's Attic on Etsy, mod cloth oxford shoes, and a vintage barrette.  Since its always fun to mix eras I wore my vintage style cape from American Apparel and my navy 1960s Good Will gloves when I took the dogs for a walk.




One person asked me why I was so dressed up, the answer, as vintage style icon Dita Von Teese says: "the special occasion is life."


Outfit Details:

Dress Time Machine Vintage
Hat Adeline's Attic
Shoe's Mod Cloth
Gloves Goodwill
and of course Weasley's sweater is from Pug Notes!

12 comments:

  1. I love it - the outfit, the pics and especially the sentiment - LIFE is the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were the dots well.
    Love the pic of you and Weasley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polka dots styles were cool to see again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so good in the vintage clothes. I don't think I could pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look wonderful. Switch your photo to B&W and you will look like a 30's era movie star!

    I love that quote. We so often forget that life truly is a special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, the special occasion is life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and you look wonderful. We loved the quote "the special occasion is life.".
    Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Y'all!

    My Human said the polka dots jerked her back to when she was little. Her mom wore polka dots and even she, my Human, had a little polka dot dress. She says do you remember the "dotted swiss"?

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm gonna have to steal that line! By the way, I love your hair color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look flat out fantastic in your new bespoke polka dot dress! This classic, upbeat pattern is amongst my all-time favourites as well (just as it is my mom's; I like to say that I must have inherited the polka dot gene from her :)).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific photos! Beautiful dress. I like the motto the special occasion is life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it - the dress is fantastic and the hat is amazing. Best of all? Your comment: the special occasion is life. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...