Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tasty-Vintage Recipes

Over my winter break form work I made a delicious old fashioned meaty pasta sauce using a recipe from one of my favorite blogs,  Chronically Vintage.


It was such a delicious recipe and so nicely old fashioned I thought it would go well paired with an old style dessert, not that you need a dessert this is a filling pasta sauce.   Still I decided to make an update of a classic treat I've never really liked the taste of, but love the idea of, cream filled cupcakes:

(I really wish they still made add like this, energy for work and play, fresh in cellophane, 54% reserve energy and 46% reserve energy, clearly the 1950s where the hey day of advertising).  Anyway, I saw a recipe for a gourmet version of cream filled cupcakes in Lora Brody's  Chocolate American Style.

Cream Filled Cupcakes

Filling
4 ounces soft cream cheese
scant 1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
pinch salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips, preferably mini

Cupcakes
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 of a stick of butter (3 ounces), soft
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
scant 1/2 cup milk

Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.   Preheat the oven to 350.

Combine the filling ingredients in a food processor and set aside.

Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  In an electric mixer beat the butter until soft and then gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time beating and scraping after each addition.   Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture in two additions beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.   Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners until half full and then top with a tablespoon of the filling mixture and then the rest of the cupcake mixture.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Let cook completely in the pan.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. That absolutely looks delish. Will need to bookmark it. But not for a while since you saw that liquor cake we have in storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, do cupcakes ever sound more exotic when you advertise them as containing "Chocolate from the African Gold Coast..."!
    What a wonderful sounding recipe; why aren't you a full time chef? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think I just saw my human mommy drool on the keyboard, although you know she'll deny it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were one of my favorites growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Kate, I'm thrilled to know that you enjoyed my family's pasta sauce recipe. Hand on my heart, I just made a meat-less version of it this very same evening myself. I really appreciate, as I know my mom and maternal grandma would too, that you brought this recipe to your table and also shared it with your blog readers. Thank you so much for doing so.

    Huge hugs & happy cooking wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fabulous. We have a lot of old cook books and even some were so thread bear we had to replace them from EBay. They knew a thing or two back in the day. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...