Sunday, June 9, 2013

Aviation Outfit From Jitterbuggin

During the 1930s and 40s when air travel was still relatively new and novel, and when the military's success in WWII depended on air combat, pilots where heroes admired by all.  One group of particularly impressive pilots where the Women Air Force Service Pilots (WASP).
 
Image Source



During WWII these amazing women where trained to fly military aircraft in noncombat missions.   1,074 women served in the WASP and 38 young women lost their lives flying aircraft.   However, the WASP did not receive veteran status until 1977 and their efforts where overlooked for many years and are still a sadly obscure part of US history.   In 2009 the WASP received the Congressional Gold Medal.

Image Source
One thing I love about vintage clothing and vintage style clothing is its connection to historyWhen I got my Jitterbuggin aviaton print blouse and navy jumper and a gift from my sweet husband it reminded me of the contributions of the WASP.  Every time I wear the outfit I remember these amazing women and the contribution they made to our country.







5 comments:

  1. How interesting. I love the picture of the WASPs with President Obama. A proud day. Your jumper is adorable. I love the vintage print of the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look spectacular! This blouse is so charming and fun! I love that we both posted outfit snaps of ourselves in navy blue Jitterbuggin this week.

    Everything Jitterbuggin makes sets my heart aflutter - I'd love to pick up a blouse or two of theirs one day, too.

    Thank you very much for all of your blog comments this weekend, sweet gal. I really appreciate and enjoy reading them.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady you are just so cool. When I was young LOL a long time ago vintage fashion was the rage amongst those in the know here. In Victoria in London was a shop and we'd all pile in to buy our stuff and go to jumble sales as well. Sad but I still have some of the items. Go girl. Have a serene Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!!!! You're just a total doll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blouse looks great with the jumper! I might have to keep that in mind for any future Jitterbuggin purchases ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...