Sunday, February 28, 2016

Modern Purveyors of Vintage-Camp Kitschy Knits

I find that one of the biggest misconceptions about vintage style is that people awesome, vintage mean dressed up.   In fact their a plethora of comfortable and casual vintage options.  Much of my wardrobe is pretty casual and I find my casual vintage items to be much more comfortable then vintage ones.   One cold weather causal vintage item I really appreciate is the Cowichan sweater.


These colorful zip front sweaters with their fun novelty prints are inspired by the knitting style of the Cowichan people of British Columbia.  They first became popular in the 1950s with the advent of the Mary Maxim sweater patterns and they've since been worn by everyone from Marilyn Monroe to the Dude.  




Kitschy motifs like curling, cowboys, bowlers, country western dancers, and skiers are de-rigeur for Cowichan sweaters.  



Add caption






That kitsch appeal is one thing that Camp Kitschy Knits on Etsy really understands.   This fun repro shop makes hand crafted sweaters using the original Mary Maxim patterns and warm thick wool. 


 Their patterns include a copy of the famous Marilyn sweater, 



as well as other fun prints.



They even have a copy of the Apollo 11 sweater worn by Danny in The Shining.




I ordered my first Camp Kitschy Knits sweater after Christmas, using an etsy gift card I was generously given.    I choose an ice dancer pattern.






The sweater is beautifully made and toasty warm. Perfect casual vintage winter wear.










I wanted a 1950s fitted look so I ordered a small, but Camp Kitschy sweaters come in a wide range of sizes for men and women.




I even found a cute vintage ice follies pin to wear with it.




I really love my sweater and I'm sure I'll shop from Camp Kitschy Knits again.  I have my eye on the Apollo 11 sweater it be great for Halloween!


























12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the one you chose, it's so cute! I can just imagine you wearing this with ski pants or a skater skirt. It looks seriously toasty. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those sweaters. They are so warm
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweater is beautiful! And the pin is adorable. Perefect match for your sweater. I like the Apollo 11 sweater, too. Design and color, both very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there an item of clothing Marilyn Monroe wouldn't look gorgeous in? LOL
    Love your ice skater sweater.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just loving the Apollo 11 sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun sweater! I took ice skating lessons for a while as a child and skated in general like it was going out of fashion when I was younger, so anything figure skating themed always has a soft in my heart.

    Happy Leap Day wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Love the necklace! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I forgot to credit you for it. I love it too

      Delete
  7. So cute! And it looks very warm and cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Mary Maxim patterns, I want to knit one some day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love looking at all the different patterns! <3 You've picked out the best one! And that Apollo sweater is so amazing! I hope you will get it for Halloween! That would just be too great! <3 That's so great that there is a seller out there that is making these!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...