Monday, November 3, 2014

A 1930s Suit Dress Inspired by the Mummy

I know Halloween is over but  today's outfit post does have a nod to the spooky.   One of my favorite film's is 1932's The Mummy staring Boris Karloff and Zita Johann.   Its a well made, clever horror film with a sympathetic monster and while most people today are doubtless more familiar with the 1999 version, which I think is a fine film, the original is in my opinion the better of the two.  In addition to a clever plot, gorgeous deco Egyptian sets, and good performances it has some excellent fashions worn by Zita Johann.  As Helen Grosevenor and the mummy's reincarnated love interest, the Princess Ankh-es-en-Amon, Zita wears glamorously slinky 1930s gowns




image source


And best of all a gorgeous 1930s black dress suit with diagonal white buttons.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 

 
Ever since I first saw the film I've longed for a similar suit.  When I saw a pattern for a 1930s  suit in Time Machine Vintage's etsy shop I decided to ask Kim if she could make me a dress suit similar to the one in The Mummy.   Of course she came through brilliantly and while my suit isn't an exact copy, which I actually like, it definitely references the original.  I don't generally wear black, dog hair alert!, but this gorgeous and comfortable suit makes all the lint rolling well worth it.  Best of all Kim generously sent me a gold deco belt for cinching my suit.  I paired the suit with green 1930s hat from Lady Eve's Millinery and 1930s style shoes I got on sale from Miss L. Fire.  
 
 
 
 
 
 Its hard to see here but the vintage buttons have little faux pearls on them and Kim also included a silver satin neckerchief and a 1930s belt.


I wore the suit on Saturday on a trip to Bay Ridge Brooklyn.  It was raining but with my favorite pug umbrella I stayed pretty dry while my patient husband snapped some pictures of my new favorite outfit.
 
 

 


 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
Outfit Details
 
 
1930s Dress Suit Time Machine Vintage
1930s style Hat Lady Eve's Millinery
Vintage Deco Belt gift from Kim at Time Machine Vintage
Green Suede Gloves Thrifted
Green Suede Shoes Miss L Fire



10 comments:

  1. Lovely and the hat makes the entire ensemble perfect. By the way, I love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous outfit. You look very beautiful and elegant in black! Some dog hairs are totally fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh that suit is wonderful! Perfect choice for you, suits (hehehe "suits") you so well! time machine vintage is great and I had a 1940s playsuit made by her and she did a marvelous job.

    Happy November :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to have a seamstress who can make just what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fabulous! Love it! (I love to wear black... but, yeah, I hardly do cuz of the dog hair factor!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, just fabulous. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. How magnificently elegant and very, very beautiful, dear Kate! You have nailed this look to a tee are the picture of sophisticated 1930s style in the process. *Swoon!*

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* It wad very sweet of you to share the link to this post with me. Thank you! I genuinely have no idea how I missed it at the start of the month (sorry about that!).

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...