Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Old Fashioned Way

I am starting this blog as an outlet for my insatiable passion for old things.   I already have a dog blog, Urban Hounds, where I write about my five wonderful dogs and 3 cute cats, and my amazing husband.   I have written a bit about vintage on there too, but I have found myself wanting to write about it more and dogs and vintage don't necessarily go together, hence the reason I am starting this blog.  I don't expect anyone to read it, but I love blogging and as I tend to do most of my blog post writing late Saturday night I think I can keep up my life's obligations and have this creative outlet.  

I've always loved vintage style ever since I was a little girl watching TCM and AMC in the afternoons and I've had smatterings of vintage and old style clothing in my closet.  Most modern clothing, furniture, and decoration has never appealed to me.  When I turned 35 in March I realized I wasn't getting any younger and decided to start dressing more regularly, in vintage and vintage reproductions.  You only live once after all.  I firmly believe people should dress, and live,  to please themselves and not worry what others think, and for me that means old style clothing, though I certainly don't dress vintage every day.  I am by no means a vintage expert, can't do vintage style hair yet (no ability for hair styling), and most of my clothes at the present time are reproductions or modern style.  

My favorite eras are the 1920s, 30s, and 40s.  I love the look of the independent women of these eras: the rebellious flappers, the glamorous 30s ladies, the tough women of the depression, and the strong land girls and Rosie the Riveter types.   I like the 1950s too, but am less interested in the house wife look.   I am at the start of building my vintage wardrobe so it will be a long process for me.  I also don't follow a vintage life style and am not one of those people who wants to go back in time, I'm very happy to live a modern free life style but I want to wear retro clothes while I am at it!  

A poster from the 1934 WC Fields film that inspired the title of this blog





3 comments:

  1. I love the idea behind your new blog. I look forward to future posts and will be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "old stuff" too so I've already added this to my Reader...Looking forward to seeing where you take me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing some of the reasons behind why you started this lovely blog with us. It's always so interesting to me to read about peoples' passions for vintage fashion and what spurred them to launch their own sites.

    You are so young looking (not, of course that 35 is old in any way, it absolutely is not), dear gal - I'd have thought you were younger than me for sure (I'm a couple months shy of 29).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...