Today I experienced one of those rare treats unique to children and school teachers: Snow Day!!!! At least 3 of the dogs (Bob, Norbert, and Weasley) enjoyed it too.
The snow day gave me some extra time to think about my New Year's goals. I'm relatively new to New Year goals, in fact I've never really made any before, but this year I felt it was time to start. With an extra day at home it seemed like a good idea to write them down:
1) Worry less: This is the most important one. I'm a chronic worrier and it robs me of living in the present. Currently I'm very worried about Tubby's low white blood cell count and what that could mean. However I'm trying really hard to focus on the present with regards to Tubby, myself, my husband, and our other pets. Whatever happens we are happy and together now and that is what matters.
2) Spend less: (Vet bills aside). I really want to increase my savings this year. Its a challenge with a high mortgage and a lot of pets, but I'd like a bit more of a cushion in case something goes wrong. Particularly seeing as I never insured my two oldest dogs and two oldest cats, big mistake there which I've learned from and won't make again.
3) Walk more: Particularly with Weasley who loves going on nice long walks.
4) Try more restaurants in jersey: At least this should be fun. I eat out a lot in New York but there are lots of interesting ethnic and old style restaurants in my home town of Jersey City and the surrounding towns that I've never tried. As a bonus most of them are pretty cheap.
5) Learn to cook Korean-I love Korean food but I have never really attempted to make it at home. This year I want to make the attempt.
6) Learn how to give myself a decent manicure-I like the look of painted nails but I hate getting manicures at the salon. I get bored sitting in the chair and I don't like the expense. I'm a slob at painting my nails myself but hopefully practice will make perfect.
7) Expand my vintage wardrobe (without breaking the bank) and continue to be brave about what I wear-I have a long list of dream vintage items I want to own and I hope to acquire some more this year, whether the genuine article or reproductions. Sometimes I feel a bit self conscious dressed up in my vintage wares but I am getting braver and I hope to keep doing so, after all life is too short to not wear just what you want!
We hope all our friends have an amazing 2014!